Operation: Become the Media
This campaign has been massively successful. Budding media artists and photojournalists have come together to expose the gritty truth about how a ski area is made. They have used words, blogs, photos, videos, and word of mouth to bring you the information you need to know. Not one press release was sent, no newspaper covered it, but we have reached over 40 countries on 6 continents. You truly have become the media! This section contains instructions on how to get started and tons of open source media you can use, share, and publish without any sort of attribution. All is released under an open source license and is free to use.
Download the outreach materials below and/or Click the read more link at right to get started.
Hello all you hard working supporters of sacred sites. The destruction is real but many are in some stage of denial. Petitions will not save us. The superhuman lawyer Howard Shanker has been neutralized. The coalition court case is now the perfect smokescreen for the Destruction. People are sitting thinking that a legal decision some time in September will stop destruction ALREADY HAPPENING. So join Operation: Become the Media today.
1. Go to the peaks immediately and start filming the destruction. Post it on YouTube, Vimeo, and Facebook. We are getting good results in google searches using the following tags, so everything you do, add these tags somewhere in the articles and videos and blogs and let folks know those tags will link them to a people powered network of news aggregated on the fly: #nopoopsnow, Peaks Cookshack, truesnow.org, converge on the peaks. Our human powered media dominate the search results in these categories and will forever hold these words on google if we all work together to tag out media.
2. Everyone post the links for other to spread the word. Tweet them with #nopoopsnow on #sacredsites - there are already a few other independent media outlets that have formed to cover this issue and are posted up and down the wall of the mountain's facebook page (Nuvatuqui Ovi). There is also a huge conglomeration of media posted to the wall that may help you inform others about many sacred site and human right issues.
3. Spread the word on Facebook by tagging and sharing with your friends. This link will take you to Facebook Event with a note to help you get started tagging right away. It also contains a link to this media packet which has everything you need to augment your own media presentations and event outreach. The call to action on the front page of truesnow.org is available on Facebook as well by going here.
4. Become the media. Don't wait for Randy Wilson to mangle the story. Write the story. Give it to your friends. Who are they going to believe? You and your eyewitness reports or a half-spun version in a newspaper funded partly with Snowbowl money?
5. Help people snap out of it. I know, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, 20% house foreclosure rate, nearly 25% of the country out of work, massive fires from a century of forest abuse, war in the east, war in the west, etc. Yep It's all connected. But it feels really good right now to know that there is one place we can take a stand. We can make a difference. And it is right here, It's the Peaks. It's a start!
6. Spread the word! Petitions were used as toilet paper. Letters were thrown away. The lawsuits have become a smokescreen for the greedy to do their destruction. The destruction is real and it is time to get involved and take action.